Sunday, 13 November 2011

Speaking in class

Opening your mouth and let out whatever view you have in a topic might not seem like a very challenging thing. Speaking, is it not one of the most fundamental and simplest parts of our everyday life? Honestly, no. Speaking in public, such as in a classroom, is for many people more complicated than that. I am one of those persons. Usually, I feel like others can explain what I am thinking in a clearer and therefore better way. When I speak in class, my mind goes blank and I always have to improvise what I am saying. Going for exchange studies in Singapore, I feared having to go through this in an unfamiliar cultural environment, in a language in which my vocabulary is limited. This is also the reason why I chose ES2007S, because I knew that the module would offer plenty of possibilities to practise speaking English in front of many listeners.


Also, the module has been challenging for me. But I have learnt a lot. The friendly and personal environment in the classroom has encouraged me to share my view with you guys, even though my vocabulary and grammar have been lacking at some times, and even though my view could have been explained by someone else in fluent English (or Singlish). Daring to speak has not been something we have practised directly, but in one way it has been the main thread in everything we have done this semester. Knowing how to behave at a job interview, or how to use non-verbal communication, how to deliver good and bad messages, or even how to write effectively, makes you more secure when being in a situation where you use what you have learnt in a real life situation. The more confident about your ability to communicate professionally you are, the less you fear speaking up.


I am so grateful that I got into our beautiful class. Each and every one of you has contributed to what I have learnt and how I have developed during this semester. Thank you so much for that. I wish you all the best in the future.

9 comments:

  1. Hi anna,

    honestly, i think your usage of grammer is pretty good for someone whose mother tongue is not English. Like you, I think that what i have gained most of this module is having the chance to learn and practise the non verbals in various context, in hope to overcome our fear.
    This module has indeed been a great platform for us to communicate and learning how to communicate effectively.

    All the best Anna! See you around in school (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna,

    I personally think that you had no problem with it at an individual level. It might just be that when it comes to addressing a group, most people might find it difficult/uncomfortable. It is good to hear that you have improved your speaking abilities in such situations.

    It has been great knowing and working with you through the numerous assignments this semester. Whenever a group was formed, we had been placed together in the same team (except for the interviews, I guess).

    Thanks for all the fun times and the lively discussions !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna!

    From reading your blog post, the main takeaway for you would be to speak up more in class. I feel that you are quite well conversed and you deliver your opinions in class, which is great!

    I had the chance to work with you for the peer teaching :) I must say I like the fact that you are so calm and you take control of things in situations when I am panicking. You are relaxed and it helps me calm down :) Especially for the meeting the day before we present when I am freaking out so badly!

    It was my pleasure and honour to work with you! My very first group work in NUS, is to work with international students like Ram and yourself :) For a chemistry major, there are no projects in the modules. All we do is to study the notes and books, then go for exams.

    I am sure you will be a great and outstanding lawyer come what may. I wish you all the best and I shall see you around in school the next semester!

    Cheers.
    Ai Lin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi anna!
    Haha you never gave me the impression that you were able to speak fluently and your grammar/vocabulary was always great. Although English is not your mother tongue, you were exceptionally good at communicating your ideas across. Keep up the confidence that you already have, you're gonna be a great lawyer definitely. You already have confidence and poise in the bag! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Anna,

    If you had trouble in the beginning with speaking in English, you made quite some progress today. You are someone that communicates really well in English.

    In addition, you did not seem to have problem presenting in front of a crowd. During your presentation you seemed mostly confident, clear and concise.

    Anyways, I am happy to have met you in this class and this a great conclusion for this class where you summarize your problems and your progression.

    Wishing you the best for you exams :)

    Rami

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Anna, for bringing up a skill that might seem obvious and easy but which often eludes people: speaking in class. You state that you had problems with this. However, you were often ready to present your viewpoint in class, which I really appreciated. It's interesting, too, that you mention your lack of language skills, but in fact, you usually articulated your ideas in a manner by which I could have guessed that English was like a first language for you. That shows the power of impressions given, a point which should serve you well in the future.

    In your post you also mention confidence, and it was good to see you (and others) further develop confidence as you worked through the various course assignments.

    For me it was especially satisfying in this class to have you offer a perspective that, though not so different from that of your Asian classmates, at times did show subtle contrasts, perhaps representative of your cultural background. That you were willing to share and inform helped enrich our classroom discussions, and you did this with a spirit of cooperation and good will. When you mention in your last paragraph "our beautiful class," it resonates precisely because all of you made an effort to reach out to the others with open hearts and minds: what a beautiful thing to see (that's why I couldn't get away that last day; I wanted to soak it all in).

    All the best, Anna, as you continue your NUS study and your broader learning journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Anna, Sorry this' my only second post comment for you. Like what others had said, I couldn't tell that English is your second language. I had thought that it was your first language all along, until that moment when Brad mentioned otherwise (in the last second lesson). I was struck by lighting.
    Your articulation is superb and rmb we were grouped tgt for one session briefly? I thought you elaborated your views so clearly and vividly. And the exact words you explained to me and Ram, were the exact opinions I had. But I could not put it in words. You did. See? You're gonna be a great lawyer :) Serving justice! *thumbs up

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best wishes to you exam,Anna! Thanks for your help from this course. I thought you are quite witty,and I was enjoying all my chats with you .

    As for the communication problem you mentioned in this blog, I don't think this is the problem of communication. In the other words, you should be confident to your English skill, though it is also your second language.

    Actually, compared with our Chinese girls, you seem to be warm and enthusiasm. Maybe this is a common identity of westerners. To tell you a truth, the first few times when I came across you in Utown,I even felt a little bit shock and wondered why you are so enthusiasm.

    So next time when you feel nervous, please recall that there was a guy in your professional communication class even spoke much much more broken English than you, you will feel funny and speak well:)

    By the way, please take my best wishes to your family. And in the future anytime when you come to China, please don't be hesitate to contact with me. I would like be your guide if I am available.

    Thanks Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, thanks for all the encouragement and pep! It really means a lot to me. From your comments, it seems quite obvious that the difficulties I have been struggeling with have only been in my head. Maybe not too surprising, as that is most often the case when it comes to confidence.

    Again, thank you so much. You surely are a bunch of beautiful people.

    ReplyDelete